Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Easy Appetizers

On our last trip home from Oliver, we had stopped at a fruit stand.  I was looking for something specific, although I can't remember what, but I do remember that whatever that thing was, it was too expensive at that particular stand.  But I was the only customer there, and felt sort of weird just walking away without buying something, anything.   There was a bin of these little gourds, 3/$1.00, which was a good deal I thought, so we spent a little while picking through the bin, looking for the weirdest six we could find.  When I got home I tried to make a little Fall display on a fancy plate, but it didn't look right.  I came across this plate, which I had won, along with some other things, in a raffle prize at an agility trial.  Didn't really have a use for it, but stuck it in the china cabinet, along with all the other things that I'm not ready to get rid of, but don't really have a use for either.

It really was the perfect plate for my idea.

IMG_6045

IMG_6046


It also turned out to be the perfect plate for some appetizers I was asked to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner.  And these had to be the easiest appetizers ever.

IMG_6048

Take an english cucumber, peel some strips off the sides, and cut it into 3/4 inch lengths.  Take your handy dandy melon baller (if you don't have one of those, you can probably pick one up at a garage sale or a thrift store for $.25) and scoop out the top half of the cucumber slice.  Fill the hole up with hummous, garnish with a couple of snips of chives or parsley, and voila!  (My chives and parsley didn't happen, but they tasted good irregardless).  The scooped out by the melon baller bits looked kinda cool, so used those along with some grapes to fill in the plate.

IMG_6049

They all got eaten.
Was this worthy of a blog post?
Probably not, but I wanted to post something, and this was an easy out:)

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely worthy. We love hummus and cukes, so thanks for the good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally Worthy!!! Love the plate, centerpiece and the food! All wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the center piece. Mom would enjoy those appetizers
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty centerpiece. I have never eaten hummus...grew up too far in the sticks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little late with my comment but, very worthy. I like both, food and centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog here! Additionally your web site so much up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    Cccam Server

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Love it. Much healthier than I am eating right now Kettle krinkle potato chips! Love the fall center piece.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!